1. I consequently mispronounced “Quenya” until I accidentally came across the IPA pronunciation of it. Also, I pronounced C as S in Tolkien names until my boyfriend pointed my error out to me.
2. I haven’t gone to a single class of Baroque Art and Architecture this semester, despite really liking the professor, only because I have trouble getting out of bed before 9 AM.
3. I haven’t even opened my Informatics course, because it’s so full of science references and it makes me cry. Also, informatics was my most hated course even when I was still studying Physics. That syllabus is basically a huge paperback panic attack trigger.
4. I made a wedding board on Pinterest, even though I have no wedding plans whatsoever and I’m usually all “it’s about the marriage that comes after, not about the party”. I just want to have a posh red dress and a huge cake and a reason to send quirky invitations to people and spend a heap of money on party arrangements.
5. I have put more effort in writing my fanfics than in writing my year paper. I have quite possibly also done more research for my fanfics. And I will never know any of my courses even close to as well as I know the Silmarillion family trees.
6. As a kid, I once read the phrase “That’s where the black pages in the history of the Roman Empire begin”, and my first thought was, “How do people read those if they are black?”. (Yes. I was probably a little below on my age curve.)
7. I often don’t shave my legs, arms, etcetera. My boyfriend doesn’t live with me, I live in a rainy climate that requires pants, tights and turtlenecks for the greater part of the year, and if no one’s going to see my bare skin I just don’t do the effort. It’s kinda gross, but my laziness usually wins over my distaste. In the same area of embarrassment: my boyfriend has more hair- and skincare products than I do. He uses them more consequently too, which is why he usually looks fabulous whereas I don’t.
8. At times I am awfully jealous of everyone who is more successful than me. AKA, when my jealousy comes up, I HATE EVERYONE. And then I get really bitter and resentful, and most importantly: mean, to people who don’t deserve it in the least. *shakes head to self* Not proud of it. Not proud at all.
9. I need to pay conscious attention to proper table manners, or else I eat like a mentally handicapped caveman (or like Denethor in LOTR). I’m not below eating with my fingers and cleaning them on my clothes or the tablecloth. (Usually I am extremely polite -because I put a lot of effort in it- but it’s not automatic and after 20 years of trying I have lost hope of it ever becoming automatic. My inner being wants to be a messy eater.)
10. I don’t like my “daily” real life friends. This is probably the most painful thing in this list. I know awesome people, but those I don’t see on a daily basis. The people I know through classes (the ones I sit with, take breaks with, get coffee with) are my daily dose of social interaction, and… I don’t really like them. We have barely anything in common, and I always feel like I’m either playing a role or tagging along without being included. I never feel more alone than when I’m with them.
So, that’s my list. I invite everyone who reads this to share ten (or more, or less) sort-of-shameful facts about themselves, either in the comments or on their own blog; I’m curious to know if I’m alone in my embarrassment yes or no.