The Good Girlfriend Checklist
A List Of 12 Commandments*, By Quantumphysica
1. Good Girlfriends don’t nag. Period. Even when they’re on their period. Leave a man to do as he pleases, and you will never find yourself without one. If you are to be a Good Girlfriend, this is your new first commandment. Adhere to it no matter what!
2. Good Girlfriends are never too attached, nor too indifferent when it comes to their boyfriend. The art is to know exactly how much attachment your man needs to feel appreciated. As a rule men don’t appreciate overly attached and needy, but just like all people, they do need to feel that they matter to the people they are close to. Affection is necessary, but in moderation.
3. Good Girlfriends don’t have high expectations. Boys will be boys after all, no matter their age. Take what he is willing to give you, and see for yourself if that’s enough to stay in the game for. Don’t expect more, it will only spoil things for you. Like Seneca said; what you have will always be less than what you don’t have.
4. Good Girlfriends know their boyfriend and accept that’s how he is. Is he the flirty type? Then don’t be disappointed when he flirts with every hot chick that passes by. Is he a couch potato? Then don’t be angry when he wants to watch soccer all day. Is he a slob? Then don’t fret about the mess he makes. Get the picture? You won’t change him ANYWAY. You either live with his defaults, or you pack up and go. This ties in with (1).
5. Good Girlfriends take care of their own problems. Is your life a mess? Are you a mental wreck? Are you falling apart at the seams? Well, then be happy you managed to get a guy despite all that, and don’t bother him with your issues. He Is Not Going To Fix You. No one can fix you but yourself, and too much drama will only scare him off. If you need a therapist, see a therapist. (HINT: Your boyfriend isn’t one.)
6. Good Girlfriends are Low Maintenance (A). Don’t expect him to take you out all the time, don’t make trouble about splitting the costs, don’t hope for random expensive gifts, don’t make him pay for your stuff… Unless he’s your sugar daddy, fulfilling your every (financial) wish is not part of your guy’s service package. Face it ladies; when it comes to the restaurant bill, chivalry is dead.
7. Good Girlfriends are Low Maintenance (B). There is more to being Low Maintenance than not expecting designer bags and expensive dinners; being LM is also an emotional state. I mentioned expectations (3) and drama (5) before as things to be avoided, and this fits in the same list. Don’t expect him to call and text you all the time. Don’t try to be the center of his universe. Don’t Be Needy. Being LM means being an emotionally independent person who doesn’t need her boyfriend to feel happy.
8. Good Girlfriends aren’t prudish. Sex is the glue of relationships. If the sex is good, he’s more likely to stay by your side, so put some effort in it. No more excuses! If you’re dry, use lube. If you have a headache, orgasms are good for that! Also, don’t be a prude. If he feels you up, just go along with it. Don’t be afraid to play a little naughty, to tease, to make sexual remarks… It’s sometimes hard to find a balance between sexy and whorish, but trust me on this: you can better be a little too hot, than a bit too cold when it comes to this.
9. Good Girlfriends have a life of their own. Did I mention being emotionally independent? Well, actually I just meant being independent in general. This doesn’t mean you can’t share a friend circle, or a hobby, or some life goals; on the other hand, a bit of an overlap is healthy. It does mean that you have to define your life and being through other things than your romantic involvements. Not only does this make you more interesting to your boyfriend, it also prevents you from falling into a big gaping nothingness when the relationship breaks off.
10. Good Girlfriends take care of how they look. You are a part of your man’s image. No matter if you are dating a businessman, an artist, or a truck driver, if you are attractive, you won’t only keep his attention on you, you will also win “image points” by making him look better to his peers. It doesn’t mean you have to become a super model… just keep the granny panties and yoga gear in the closet.
11. Good Girlfriends take care of how they behave. Don’t embarrass your guy in front of his friends, or your friends, or… ever, really. You want him to be happy with you, remember? If you are liked by his friends and make a good impression on people in general, you’re once again scoring “image points” that make you more of an asset to him. (Not to mention that being well-liked is always nice, for yourself as well.)
12. Good Girlfriends don’t stop doing effort after the first weeks. This is probably the most difficult commandment. This list isn’t something you can quit after you’re “safe” in the relationship. It’s like one of those diets you have to keep following to prevent your weight from yo-yoing back up. Being a Good Girlfriend isn’t a temporary thing… it’s a lifelong task!