So, I was talking to one of my fellow patients, a dearly nice girl from Great Britain who has OCD and several phobias (OCD= Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, for those who aren’t familiar with the term)… and I found myself wondering about fear, and the things that cause it. I can imagine people being afraid of certain things, you know. I can even imagine them being so afraid it controls one’s life and interferes with normal functioning. Heights, closed spaces, dogs, spiders, poison, cancer, even clowns… I can imagine that. But people are afraid of the weirdest things, it seems. The total irrationality of phobias comes clear when the object of anxiety is just plain stupid.
So, for your enjoyment, I have made this little list of highly ridiculous phobias. Have a laugh, and be grateful it doesn’t happen to you…
- Allodoxaphobia – Fear of opinions.
- Arithmophobia – Fear of numbers, fear of mathematics (one disease I would never be able to live with…)
- Asymmetriphobia – Fear of asymmetrical things.
- Barophobia – Fear of gravity. (Now that imposes kind of a problem…)
- Caligynephobia – Fear of beautiful women. (If you ever needed to be reassured…)
- Chrometophobia or Chrematophobia – Fear of money.
- Consecotaleophobia – Fear of chopsticks. (I wonder…)
- Decidophobia – Fear of making decisions.
- Dextrophobia – Fear of objects at the right side of the body.
- Epistemophobia – Fear of knowledge. (perfect excuse for not studying)
- Hellenologophobia – Fear of Greek terms (yes. It exists.)
- Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia – Fear of long words. (just saying…)
- Liticaphobia – Fear of lawsuits. (these people don’t watch Judging Amy, that’s for sure)
- Omphalophobia – Fear of belly buttons. (OMG.)
- Politicophobia – Fear or abnormal dislike of politicians. (in certain cases… I understand this one)
- Phobophobia – Fear of being afraid (Now then you really have a problem.)
- Vestiphobia – Fear of clothing. (also known as “the exhibitionist’s disease”)
- Zemmiphobia – Fear of the great mole rat. (I wonder where that comes from… I wouldn’t even know what the thing looks like!)
Note that I don’t make fun of phobic people; phobias are horrible to have. But one has to admit they can be quite ridiculous…